Wednesday 28 May 2014

My Reading List for June

Well, it's been a busy old time of late in my house. Over the past two weeks I have had two poorly children; one with a particularly nasty bout of tonsillitis, the other resulting in an ambulance call! Along with three major assignments/presentations for college. 
In addition there have been various social events; a friend's gig, indoor BBQs, movie nights... The list goes on. Not that I am complaining mind! Can't beat a full diary. Gives me less time to dwell and think!
With all of this excitement, I have had very little time for reading. :-( Don't get me wrong, I've still managed to squeeze some reading in on most days, but nowhere near on the scale I'd like.
Therefore I have decided to dedicate the month of June to reading. There's only one 'full' week left at college, which saddens me. I love college, but it will free up a lot of time for me, until university begins in September. There's a huge reading list to get through, made up of university texts and books I personally want to read.

I am reading this book for context. My final college assignment is a presentation on a novel of my choice, identifying its theme, and how well it conveys its theme through literary devices. This book is the sequel to the novel I have chosen: 'The Woman who Walked Into Doors'. Roddy Doyle.
I love Roddy Doyle's work. He creates wonderful working class protagonists. I am particularly taken with Paula, an ordinary working class wife, mother, sister, alcoholic and domestic violence survivor. She is such a rounded, authentic character and such a protagonist is rare to find, especially one created by a male writer. As is often the case, the first book is, in my opinion, a better read than the sequel, yet for me, this is still a page turner. Review to follow shortly...



Yes I know, literature student, and I've not read this before. One of the top 10 most read books in the world. I'm getting there...


Ok, so I've not read this either. Again, a bit controversial for a student of literature!


This one is being reviewed for Mumsnet Book Club. Adored Hosseini's previous work, so I'm sure this will be no different. 



Uni text, looks really interesting and will help me prepare for degree-level studies, but not exactly page turning excitement? We'll see, looking forward to getting stuck in.





I've followed Sarah Pinborough on Twitter for a while, not read any of her work before, so looking forward to reading and reviewing this, her tweets are witty and sarcastic. Can't really go wrong.




This is another recommended university text written by Francine Prose. Incidentally, I also have one of her novels to review. Not sure which order to read these in. Will reading one make me judge the other differently? I'll keep you posted.




And that, my friends, is what will be filling my head during the month of June! Does anyone else have a reading challenge that they have set for themselves? If so I'd love to hear about it.




No comments:

Post a Comment